- Podocarpus can be used as a tree, but is widely used as a taller screening hedge. Foliage is drapy and fern-like. New growth is brighter green than old growth and makes a nice contrast. Fern Pine softens up large expansive walls or screens off property lines for privacy. Plant approximately 3' apart for use as a hedge. Tolerates drought, deer, disease, seaside. Blooms are inconspicuous and foliage is dense making a nice green backdrop to any garden. Specs on the Dat Sheet are given in mature tree form. Can be kepts much smaller and tighter if used as a hedge/screen. Provide regular water when establishing. Native to Northeast Africa. 5 gallon sizes come approximately 2.5 feet tall. 15 gallons come approximately 5 feet tall by 16 inches wide. 24" box size and up varies. Please call or email for specs. USDA Zone: 9-11
Note: 5 gallon sizes may range from 2.5 to 3.5 feet tall. 15 gallon sizes may range from 4.5 to 5' by 14" wide. 24 inch boxes may come approximately 7 to 8' tall by 20" wide. The growth between a 15 gallon and 24" box is approximately 3 years. Note that a 25 gallon tub may be substituted for a 24" wood box In some cases.
These are averages. Please inquire if you desire a more specific current height spec.
Sun Exposure: Sun Or Part Shade
Water Needs: Moderate
Bloom Season: Na
Mature Height: 22-25'
Mature Width: 11-15'
Proper planting technique will help your plants thrive! Follow these simple steps to help your plants establish quickly, develop a strong root system, and live longer:
- Properly dig the hole
- Amend the soil to suit each particular plant
- Place the plant and backfill the soil
- Provide ample water for each particular plant
- Review our how to plant guide!
For detailed information, please download our planting guides:
We deliver to Southern California including Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Diego County, Riverside County, Imperial County, Ventura County, Santa Barbara County, and neighboring areas.
|Delivery Zone||Delivery Rate|
|Extended Delivery||Contact Us|